Okay.....if you notice, I basically started this blog, and one my last "regular" posts was November 26th (I was getting on a roll until then). However, on November 28th, Anderson was diagnosed with CHIARI 1 MALFORMATION and our whole world changed.....Google and I have been attached at the hip ever since!
Let me give some background....in my heart, I just knew something was wrong with Anderson and I have known for a long time. At 3 months of age, Anderson was diagnosed with torticollis. This means his head was "tilted" to 1 side. He started physical therapy (PT) 2 times a week at Children's Hospital of Orange County (CHOC). He was achieving milestones, but they were not with the same precision as Kaitlyn and Ryan. Then around 1 year we started to notice his fine motor skills were falling behind and his gross motor skills were as well. At this point, his torticollis seemed to be resolved, but we had these developmental delays that we were dealing with. His gross motor, fine motor and speech were all affected. At 1 year of age (and still today)...Anderson had NO SPEECH. He does not utter 1 word, or even babble "da, da, or ma, ma". And, Anderson was not walking at 12 mos.
We contacted the state for an evaluation. We had a complete evalu done. Anderson's delays were significant enough that the state said Anderson needed physical therapy (PT), and occupational therapy (OT). However, he was too young for speech therapy. At 15 mos of age, and no progress in speech, we went back to the state and our wonderful case worker got the state to approve Anderson for speech therapy as well (Anderson was the youngest person our case worker has ever seen get approved.)
During these months, Anderson had all of us confused. The only thing his PT and OT would say was they saw a bit of hypotonia (a medical condition of low muscle tone). Then one day, Anderson's OTherapist told me she thought Anderson needed to see a neurologist. GULP. So....off we went. The 1st of November we saw the neurologist.
The neurologist said she saw a bit of hypotonia as well, which is what probably caused his torticollis at 3 months (the weak muscles caused his head to tilt to 1 side). The neurologist told us there would be over a 50% chance of NEVER knowing why Anderson had hypotonoia and these developmental delays. However, she wanted to order a MRI and send us to a geneticist. The MRI was scheduled for the end of November, and we went to the geneticist.
Our geneticist told us the same as the neurologist, we probably would not find anything on the MRI, typically these delays go "undiagnosed". However, she felt that Anderson had global hypotonia. Meaning....Anderson has low muscle tone thru his whole body causing the delays in gross motor, fine motor and speech. GULP AGAIN. This doctor told us that the hypotonia was secondary to a bigger condition...which could be 1 million different things. The geneticist also referred us to a metabolicist. So....our search continued.
We had the MRI on November 27th. I received a call from the neurologist on November 28th that told me to call her by the end of the day (NEVER a good sign!) When I called her she told me Anderson had Chiari 1 malformation. My first response was....could you PLS spell it? ;) Then, the doctor told me we needed to go to a neurosurgeon.
I called the neurosurgeon, (who typically takes 3+months to get into), and we got an appt in 6 days...again, not a good sign.
Now let me back track a little bit here.....6 weeks prior to Anderson's diagnosis, I told Charlie I thought Anderson was getting headaches. Anderson would bang his hand against his head, rub his head in "odd ways". In addition, Anderson is a "fussy" baby. He will just cry and cry. I will try everything to soothe him, nothing works...except if I give him Tylenol. Then, 10 minutes later, Anderson would be happy again....hmmmmm....
We met wit the neurosurgeon who explained Chiari to us (well, I will be honest, Char and I were googling the HECK out of it ourselves!) It is a rare condition and not well researched. Basically, Chiari means that in the back of our heads, we all have a hole in our skull. In this hole we should have our brain stem and spinal cord. In Anderson's case (and other Chiari patients), his brain is herniating thru this hole. His brain is being compressed against his skull with ech heartbeat, and it is compressing his spinal cord and brain stem. The #1 symptom....headaches!!! (YES, refer above!) The treatment is surgery...there is NO CURE, just treatment!
This neurosurgeon thought it could be contributing to Anderson's gross motor delay, but that was about it. He wanted to wait and see, give Anderson the benefit of the doubt.
He said if we saw Anderson start to bang his head more, plateau in his development or regress in development...then come back.
Okay....now it is the end of December....we have a diagnosis of global hypotonia and Chiari 1. We are just "waiting and seeing". We start to notice that Anderson is not progressing in his development, still not walking (17 months old) and still not talking (at all...no babble!)...Anderson was "plateauing".
So, in beginning of January, Char and I decide we need to go back to our neurosurgeon. We make an appt, and I decide we can't be the only family out there with this.... I am going to start seeking families with kids with Chiari. I found 2 support groups, I made a post on ech one....within 24 hours, I had over 25 emails with people who had children with hypotonia, developmental delays and Chiari!!! We felt like we hit the jackpot.
In addition, in January, we see the metabolicist. Basically, he said he felt that all of Anderson's delays and hypotonia were b/c of his Chiari and this doctor told us to pursue the Chiari.....
One of the common lines b/w all of the people who emailed us was...find the BEST CHIARI doctor, not the BEST NEUROSURGEON. Chiari is so rare, you really need to have an interest in it and study it specifically.
Thru the support groups, we located a pediatric neurosurgeon in Chicago who has a special interest in Chiari. I emailed the doctor, Dr. Frim, and he said that in deed these delays could all be connected and that we needed to come see him.
Here is a list of some of Anderson's symptoms at this point:
headaches
gags on his food 1-2 times per meal
weak arms
does not raise his arms up
delay in fine motor
weak grasp
poor balance
lack of speech
hypotonia
delay in gross motor - still not walking
On February 12th, Charlie, Anderson and I made the trip to Chicago. On February 13th, Anderson had 3 more MRI's to rule out other complications that Chiari can cause. February 14th, we met with the doctor and he did recommend surgery. The good news...the additional MRI's came back clear and normal! YAHOO!
Dr. Frim said he sees children with Anderson's problems. Chiari CAN CAUSE hypotonia and other items listed above. Finally...the link we have been looking for!!! In some cases surgery will help, some cases, it does nothing...but he was willing to try if we were willing to do the surgery. Charlie and I feel that if it simply relieves Anderson's headaches and makes him more comfortable, it would be worth it!
The neurosurgeon here in Orange County performs this decompression surgery approx 1/month, Dr. Frim does this surgery approx 1/week!!! BIG DIFFERENCE to us. We wanted someone who had the most experience with children and with Chiari! We feel we found our Chiari doctor.
Surgery is scheduled for Monday, March 3rd. We need to be there at 6:45 AM central time. Surgery will be approx 5 hours. We will be at the University of Chicago's Comer's Children's Hospital.
My Mom will be coming to California to be with Kaitlyn and Ryan for 1 week. Then, my mom and Popo Jim will fly them to Chicago once Anderson is out of the hospital and recovering. We need to be in Chicago for 2 weeks for Anderson's post-op appt. Charlie's parents are on call and ready to go and come help us in Chicago when we feel we need it. Charlie's Mom will be coming out to California the 3rd week when we get back from Chicago. We are so lucky to have our family and friends to support us!
The kind people across the country that took the time to answer my posts are our little angels. They took the time to share their stories and experiences with us and have led us to where we are today. We are so thankful for them and everything that has happened. We finally feel like we have something we can do to try and help Anderson after all of these months of searching! We could have possibly found a reason that we were told would be 1 in 1 million and over 50% chance we would never know!
I have such mixed feelings about all of this. One minute I am strong and ready to go, the next I am crying and crying. We are excited, nervous, anxious, hopeful, etc...I am sure you can imagine the thoughts you would have if your child were going under brain surgery.....
Because I believe in the power of prayer and positive thinking, I am sharing this with all of you. We feel so blessed to have such a great team of therapists at CHOC and an incredible doctor, Dr. Frim, watching over Anderson. I am SO HOPEFUL and I BELIEVE in my heart this is the answer we have been searching for......
We will continue to update this blog during Anderson's surgery and recovering. Feel free to check back to see what is going on with us! THANK YOU for all of your support.












32 comments:
Thank you so much for taking the time to put this all together. We are praying for Anderson and we know that good things are in store!
Scherer Family
Liz! I can't beleive all you've been through. Thank god little Anderson has parents who are willing to go the extra mile. I will keep little Anderson in my prayers. Best of luck in Chicago...I am sure this is the miracle you are waiting for. Keep us posted :)
Love you! Holly
Hi Liz: Thanks for telling us about Anderson. We join all of your loved ones praying for Anderson, and for his loving family. May you continue to find many angels everywhere on Anderson's journey to good health.
Love, Ira.
I am speechless... shocked and saddened by all that you and your family have had to endure. I am so sorry, I had no idea. I only hope that you are now in the best of best hands and finally there are people capable and experienced to care for him. Modern medicine (and prayer) are truly AMAZING things (my girls are living proof); you have to turn it over and trust he will be taken care of. I will pray for you and Charlie, and let us know if you need anything. Good, positive things are on the horizon for this little peanut, I just know it. - Love, Meg and Brit
Our thoughts and prayers are with Anderson and your entire family. It's wonderful that you've found a great doctor and some answers in Chicago. We're looking forward to seeing you all back in CA soon and in good health.
The Avery Family
Liz, what a journey so far! My heart aches for you, Charlie, Anderson, Kaitlyn and Ryan. I am encouraged by your positive attitude...keep it up. I'll check your blog frequently and hope for the very, very best on March 3rd (and always!).
-Robyn
May the Lord bless and hold Anderson through his surgery on Monday. We are praying for you all. Can't wait for the next post. Take care of each other. Love you, Shelley Harriger and family
Dear Liz and Charlie, Just to let you know you are so in our thoughts and prayers. I can only imagine what a stressful time this is for you and your family. Please know that we will be with you and Anderson every step of the way. If the power of love and pray help, you guys will soar!!!! Be well, take care and our very best to you all. Thanks for the information, I am sure you have enlightened many of us to this rare condition. Sincerely, Nancy and Paul Schachter
Liz and Charlie,
What a wonderful family Anderson has! You are all in our prayers and I am glad we can see how everyone is doing in Chicago. My fingers are crossed! Can't wait for you to get through this surgery.
Love,
The Harness Family
Liz and Charlie you have been on a very challenging journey. Anderson is so lucky to have you both as parents. Your strength and perserverance is to be admired. I can only imagine how frustrating it has been not getting answers or getting answers that you knew in your gut were not complete. We will be praying for you all as you take this next step. Love you! Jackie,Carole&Avery
Liz -
Someone told me once that God only gives you what He thinks you can handle. You are a very strong mom and have a terrific family support system. Anderson, you and your entire family will be in our prayers, now and in the next few weeks. If there is anything at all (big or small) that you need please do not hesitate to call! Your family has a special place in my heart and I wish you only the best. Have a safe and successful trip to Chicago. And as a side note - Bristol and Chloe wanted to say hi to Kaitlyn.
Much Love and Prayers - Deleen
I am so glad that you were able to put all the information about Anderson together. It is all just so overwhelming. I pray for God to give you strength. You are an amazing mother and friend. Anderson is the luckiest little boy to have you as his biggest advocate! I love you!
Love, Megan, Ron and Olivia
Thank you so much for sharing this with me. I am so sorry that you and your family are going through this. Please know that Anderson is in our thoughts and prayers.
Love, Andrea
I'm a friend of Lois and Larry. My prayers for Anderson's relief and your strength are with you all.
Ruthie McCormack
We are keeping you all in our thoughts and prayers. Thank you for sharing this with us. We are holding Anderson close. He is a lucky guy to have such diligent parents. Blessings on your trip to Chicago!
Love-Rebecca,Corey,Max,Kai,Lily
Liz & Char! You are amazing parents and all three are soooo lucky to have you on their sides at all times. We are thinking positive thoughts of Anderson every day. He is such a sweet nephew. We love you all.
Shelly, Mark & Baby Will.
Mescher Family,
This is Aunt Patty, you are all in my prayers. I know Anderson will come thru this surgery with flying colors. You know I am here at a moments notice to go to Chicago, or California to help, call any time and I am there. We are pulling out all the prayers we have and I know that Great Grandma Prus is up there taking care of him. Let me know if you need anything.
Love,
The Kinder Family
Thank God for modern medicene !! Our prayers and thoughts are with all of you during these trying times and we KNOW things will be better for Anderson by next week this time. The best of thoughts to all !! Brenda and Forrest and family ( long time friends of the Meschers )
Dear Charlie,Liz and family, I am so happy you found an answer, it is such a relief when the puzzle starts to fit. Anderson has been in my prayers and I will continue praying for all of you during this stressful, unknown territory time. You will continue to find the angels in your path as you need them. They are waiting patiently for you to guide and carry all of you through. Love, Aunt Maggie&Bob
Hi Liz - I spoke to your Mom earlier this morning and then I read your posting. I just want you to know that I will be praying for little Anderson and you, Charlie and the rest of your family, as well and I pray also that God will bless you and Charlie with continued strength and good health so that you can get through what lies ahead of you in the future. Have a safe trip to and from Chicago. Know that God and his unfailing love is always with you. Love and many prayers, your Mom's friend Ginny Roseberry
Dear Liz and Charlie,
My thoughts and continual prayers will be with you, Anderson and all of the doctors,nurses and therapists that are involved in Anderson's care. Stay strong and keep that positive attitude and fight!!!
Pam Hester
Liz,
You and your family have undergone through so much already. God's love is very challenging at times. Yet, Andrew has been blessed by God, for having such wonderful parents. That've done everything possible to take care of him. My thoughts and prayers are with you, and your family, especially, on March 3...Do not let your heart be troubled, trust in me (John 14:1). The Taburiaux Family.
Hey Liz,
My Mom just sent me your email. The blog is great! I hope everything goes well with Anderson. He will be in my prayers. You have come a long way since our times on Stonington Rd. God bless you and your family.
Steve Braun
Liz,
Your strenght is an inspiration and I have to believe that Anderson will pull through with flying colors with all the love and prayers from family and friends. God bless your family. You are in my prayers as well.
Love, Nicolette Gardner and family
Hi Liz, please know that our thoughts and prayers have been with you on a daily basis. Thank you so much for the blog to help keep us all informed. Anderson has been blessed with a wonderful family and strong Mom. We will continue to keep you in our prayers as you go through this very difficult time. God Bless All of You! The Kridles
Liz,
Please know that Anderson and your family are in our prayers. My heart aches for Anderson and I pray he find relief from his headaches after the surgery. Love, Therese, Casey, Seamus & Claire Flanagan
Dear Liz and Charlie,
Our thoughts and prayers are with you and all of your family. I am also a google fanatic and it looks as though you do have much to be hopeful about with this surgery. I have a strong belief that God puts the right people in our paths as well as the answers we need and He will continue to do so for you. Take time out for yourselves. This is a hard thing for every mother to accept, but it is so necessary to renew yourself so that you can continue to have your amazing strength and positive attitude.
Love, Garry and Jettie
Liz & Charlie,
We will be thinking and praying for Anderson and both of you tomorrow and the days to follow. Be brave and strong.
Love,
Daisy & Matt
We love you and are keeping you in our thoughts and prayers today, tonight and all days-give our little nephew a big hug - know that we are close by at all times. Love, Sandy and Bill
Charlie,Liz, Anderson
Sending you all our love.
God willing, tomorrow our prayers will be answered.
Give a kis to our little "A" for us.
Get some sleep tonight. Sweet dreams. We'll be waiting to hear from you.
Love you
xoxoxoxoxoxo
Mom and Dad
Liz,
You, Anderson and your entire family are in my thoughts and prayers tonight and will especially be there tomorrow. I have been researching Chiari with my Pediatrics PT teacher the past few days. They complimented you on all the research you have done and the steps you have taken to help Anderson. Anderson is truly lucky to have a mother like you! I hope all your prayers are answered tomorrow.
Best wishes,
Julie Braun
Liz and Charlie,
Thank you so much for sharing details regarding Anderson and Steve and I are sending positive vibes and prayers your way tomorrow here in Chicago! PLEASE let me know if you need anything while in town. We would love to help. xoxo Cathy
Post a Comment