Wednesday, June 12, 2019

H.O.P.E

It is incredible to me to have so many different comments on my FB feed this morning.  There is excitement, there is sadness, there is relief, there is hatred.  Many are asking, "How do I explain this to my children".  I am not writing this blog post to express my political views and how I feel about the outcome in the early morning hours.  But, as I read posts and watch the news - I come back to one thing that I live every day......HOPE.

To be honest and quite frank, I did not ask for a child with special needs.  I did not "vote" for this.  However, I get up every day and I CHOOSE to have HOPE.  I have hope for my sweet boy, who grows and learns every.single.day.  I work my A$$ off every day - with him on his homework, with his verbal ability,  researching, reading, connecting with doctors, connecting with other moms, connecting with therapists.  When Anderson did not speak at age 5, some naive/closed minded docs told me that he would probably never speak.  I did not listen.....I always had HOPE.  And today, he woke up saying another new word.....and has been for the past 3 years - surprising us all.  Anderson has taught us so many things in the past 10 years.  I could choose to not recognize them or I could choose to celebrate them.  We choose the celebration.  I love my sweet boy and the drive and motivation he has every day...and everything he teaches ME.

Today, I still woke up with HOPE.  I have HOPE that our country will be great.  I know that NO ONE is perfect.  We have all made mistakes.  I had candid and honest conversations with our children this morning, assuring them there are checks and balances, and assuring them the people of this country spoke and choose a president.  I am not changing how I wake up - I still choose HOPE. 

I could wake up every day - overwhelmed, sad, depressed, and angry with all that is on my plate.  This is not how I want to live my life.  Instead, I try to teach my children LOVE, kindness and HOPE.

Please be with me and wake up everyday and choose HOPE for our country. 

** ORIGINALLY I WROTE THIS ON 11/6/16 - I FOUND IT TODAY IN MY DRAFT FOLDER AND I PUBLISHED IT.

No comments: