Yes, it has been 8 months to the day since Anderson's brain surgery. Can you believe it?? WOW...how things have changed for the better in the last 8 months.
AND...today was REALLY exciting b/c Anderson started SCHOOL!!! Yes, SCHOOL!!! A few weeks ago, Anderson's speech therapist approached me and said she felt that Anderson would benefit from being around"typical" 2 year old children. The hope would be he would mimic/imitate their behavior and their speech!! The therapist also felt that Anderson's play skills and receptive language skills were ready. So, you know me....I was on the phone 2 hours later with 6 different schools trying to find the BEST match.
I found one....I felt like I hit the jackpot when I found this school. It is a "sister" school to Ryan's preschool. If I could...I would send Anderson to Ryan's preschool, but they only take 3 year olds and potty trained (which Ander is neither!). So, I went to the sister school that has same teaching philosophy, same discipline, etc....but they take 2 year olds and not potty trained! YAHOO!!!
I went for a tour...and golly, it was WONDERFUL!! Everything was "Anderson's size".....minituare. PERFECT! The jungle gym, the picnic table, the school tables, the chairs, potty, sink...everything. the play equipment is a big one for us b/c Anderson can' t have any high falls....and you would NOT believe the size of some of the play equipment in these toddler programs :) I am sure that is not a "Typical" concern for most parents, but it is a BIG one for us! This school....had JUST the perfect size everything!
MOST importantly....during our tour....Anderson JUMPED right in and played with the kids. He was hanging out with the class like he had been there for the past 3 months. IT made me cry. Char and I NEVER dreamt it would be possible for Anderson to attend a "typical" school...we were assuming he would go to a special needs school (which he could still end up in one eventually)...but for now...we are THRILLED at the possiblity of him being integrated with typical 2 year old children.
Anderson will go 2 times a week for about 3.5 hours. This is IN ADDITION to his 5 hours of individual therapy at Children's. So.....lots of work for Anderson!
Today was Anderson's 1st day at his new school. HE LOVED IT!! He had NO problem leaving me (which we assumed....) b/c at therapy I do not go with him. Charlie came with me to drop him off this AM...and Char could NOT get over how "perfect" the school was for Anderson! HA!! He said...no wonder you called me 20 times asking if you could turn in the deposit b/c you found "THE" school! It was a school made just for little Anderson!
When I picked Ander's up from school today....he was sitting at the table, having lunch just like all of the other 2 year old kiddos. He came RUNNING over to me and gave me the biggest, sweetest hug! I picked him up and he let out the BIGGEST yawn :) I took that as success!
The teachers said he did wonderful...no tears the whole day. They said he did great walking to the main gym for an assembly. The "lizard" guy came to school today to share some of his reptiles. Anderson walked to the assembly holding the teacher's hand (never does that for me!)...and he did "2 finger gentle" to the turtle and loved every bit of it according to the teacher. I had a hard time believing he did not run up on stage and try to rip the snake out of the lizard man's hands! HA!! I was so happy for Anderson. The teachers also said....he is QUITE a big eater. Yep...that is my Anderson, he eats more than Kaitlyn and Ryan combined! :) No kidding!
What an amazing day!! I was so proud of Anderson and I am so very very very happy for him!!
PS - I will post pictures tmr. I am TIRED tonight!! Plus, I have more to post....we had a busy weekend..Mima and Popo were here for a visit and we had Halloween. I will try to post more tmr night!
Monday, November 3, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)












1 comment:
WONDERFUL!!!! I love hearing updates on all your kids, but especially Anderson. It is amazing to see a miracle at work!!
Post a Comment