Monday, August 25, 2008

Perinatolgist

It has been a few days since our 1st appt....just getting around to write about it.

We went to see the perinatologist (peri for short) last Thursday. (A peri is a high risk OB doctor) My OB wanted me to see one b/c of Anderson. There is no test for Chiari, just a visual image of the brain...so, she wanted us to be under the care of a peri for this pregnancy.

I was VERY nervous going to see the Dr. He is highly regarded...my OB was VERY clear on the ONLY peri she wanted us to see b/c of the rarity of Chiari.

I did NOT sleep 1 wink the night b/4 the appt. I was just nervous to sit in his office. Lets face it...if you are going to a peri, it is PROBABLY for NOT a good reason. Did I mention they are HIGH risk OB doctors....so you are there only if there is a problem with the baby or the Mom. It is not a "fun atmosphere". It is not your typical OB office where the majority of women are there for good reason. At this office....you are there for NOT so good reasons.....

Anyway, they took us back, and the u/s tech did the ultrasound at 1st. She was very nice and the screen clarity was amazing. Charlie was with me and we could not get over how clear the picture of the baby was......The tech did all of the measurements and then got the doctor. The doctor also does a scan for awhile. He said the baby looks as "perfect" as it can be at this point. 15 weeks is little....and they can't see much, but so far so good. I will TAKE THAT at this point!!!!

The peri wants to see us every month for an ultrasound. So, I will go to my OB for regular check ups, and then the peri for ultrasounds. This Mescher baby is getting ROYAL treatment!!

Charlie and I have not found out with any of the 3 children the gender prior to birth. We would like to do the same for baby #4. However, with a scan every month, I am not sure how possible that is going to be....the u/s tech was GREAT and asked us and told us to turn our head when she needed us to turn our head. However, the peri was VERY "free willy" with that wand....he was ALL over the place. I was SO nervous I was going to catch a penis on the screen. But, as Char said when we left....Anderson has given us SO many surprises that it would not be the end of the world if we accidentally found out ;)

Our wishes still stand to be surprised (at least about the gender....lets hope not about the health of the baby this time!!!)

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Remember though, another one with Chiari would not be as scary since you have done this journey once before. I am praying that this baby is wonderfully healthy and his glorious little head is big enough for his brain (as Gabe would say).

I think it is time for another Anderson update though. Reading about all his attained goals makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. :)

Hang in there!

Michelle & Crew