Monday, September 29, 2008

20 week ultrasound


BABY'S HAND AT 20 WEEKS

BABY'S FEET


WHAT A SWEET PROFILE!!!

We had our 20 week ultrasound last Thursday. It went great. Again....so far so good!!

The perinatalogist we saw last time told us he wanted us to ONLY SEE him. But, he was called out of the office for an emergency. So, we saw one of his partners. The Dr. in the office really wanted to scan us b/c we were 20 weeks and did not want the baby to get any bigger for the "typical" anatomy scan. But, they rescheduled me to go this Thursday just so the original peri can check the brain. The "new" peri did check it and asked us all about the history of Anderson and Chiari. He too scanned the brain and said....looking good. Nothing to indicate any problems. We are still cautious about these statements, but still encouraged. This Dr. actually admitted to Charlie and I that we knew more about Chiari than he did.....he said with a smile, "this is one of the cases where you know more than the peri....as we diagnose it, but we do not do the care of the infant so we are not "up" on the latest and greatest when it comes to the treatment of it." He was really nice and sweet.

They checked the brain, heart, legs, gender parts (no we did not see!), stomach, kidneys, etc. The peri watched the baby's ankles move....sometimes a neural tube defect could cause problems with the ankles....according to the Dr. Little #4 was kicking away ;) So that is good too.

I have to say.... I thought I saw a little penis at one point on the scan. I waited about 5 minutes after I saw it and asked the Dr. if he had seen the gender at any point in the scan so far. He said back to me, "NO! I can tell you and your husband are "savvy" at reading these ultrasounds...so, I am not going anywhere near that area". So....who knows what I saw ;)

It was so fun to see the baby again. I will be able to get another glimpse this Thursday. This baby is going to have quite the photo album from all of the u/s before it is born.

The heartbeat was at 145.......the u/s tech said there is NOOOO truth to that old wives tale ;) and for me not to read into the rate......

1 comment:

Giving Love Encounters said...

What a sweet, sweet baby. And what a wonderful blessing to get a good report. So great!!!