Last night Charlie and I took Anderson to a healing mass. It was at the Church affiliated with Kaitlyn's school. There was a visiting priest from Jerusalem that was in town to perform the healing service.
A friend of mine, Laura, told me about the mass and suggested we go with Anderson. Laura was one of the many people that helped organize masses and prayer groups while Anderson had his surgery 6 months ago.
The mass started at 7:30 PM. We were NOT sure how Anderson would do since his bedtime is 7:30PM. We had a babysitter b/c there was a parent meeting at school at 6:00. So, Char and I went by ourselves to school, then went back home, picked up Anderson in his PJ's and took him back over to mass. We got there around 8. There were 3 seats left....right next to my friend Laura ;) Anderson was simply an angel throughout mass. Did not make a sound. Just went from my arms to Charlie's arms, back and forth.
Then, after the mass was the healing service. It honestly was like something you would see on TV. It was overwhelming to see what was happening. Row by row you were asked to step forward if you wanted healing. They had 5 "catchers" stand behind people to catch them if they fell over after the priest prayed over them.
Since we were in the BACK of the Church and it was almost 9 PM by this point....Laura suggested....why don't you go forward and have Anderson prayed over since it is so late. Laura knew one of the woman (Karen) organizing the people approaching the altar and suggested I go see her.
So, I took Anderson to the front, introduced myself to Karen and said I was here for my son and it was late. She understood and had me wait for the 1st 2 rows to go b/c they were "reserved". No problem. As I am standing there, I watched about 30 people being prayed over......most of whom all fell over after the priest prayed over them. I did NOT see the priest say anything to the individuals.....just praying and healing ech of them. You were not suppose to speak to the priest, as they told us "Jesus knows what needs to be healed in ech of you already". So, you were suppose to stand at the altar and accept the healing w/o words.
Then, it was our turn to stand up there with a row of people. Karen asked me, "Is your husband here, do you think he should be up here holding the baby?" I told her I would be fine (I did not want to make a big scene and go back and get Charlie since I was "jumping" the line so much!) And, I thought I would be fine. Karen said, "Are you sure?" I said, Yes, I am here for my son, I just want my son prayed over.
I stood there and watched as the 5 people to my left all fell over and fell over. It was our turn. The priest approached us, and I said, "Pls pray for my son". The priest prayed over Anderson, touched Anderson's head, held Anderson's head and prayed over him for a long long time. Anderson made NO noise! Anderson sat in my arms perfectly still.
Then, the priest prayed over me. I started to feel (honestly) like I was going to fall backwards, the priest grabbed my elbows and held me. He then held my shoulders and continued to pray. Then, I looked at the priest and he said to me....
"I wish you MY PEACE. I can tell you are living afraid. Do not be afraid!"
It brings tears back to my eyes to write this. First of all, I did not hear the priest speak to ANYONE else. But, he spoke to me. And secondly and most importantly......I believe that was God speaking to me thru this man. Those words he said to me have been my life for the past 12-18 months. I have been living in fear and afraid. Afraid of what was wrong with my son, afraid of what the future holds for our son, afraid of what all of this means....fear and afraid. I could NOT believe this priest who does NOT know us, does NOT know Anderson's story would utter those words to me. I just held Anderson and cried after the prayer. It was incredible. Then, we walked back to our seats to Charlie. A friend, Betsy, was in the audience and she was crying, crying after she saw us at the altar. Betsy stood up and gave us the biggest, sweetest hug. Then, Laura did the same.
Today, my friend Elaine wanted to know about the mass. I called her and told her about it and she pointed something out to me. She said....Liz, you said to the woman in the front.....I am here for my son, could we possibly go sooner since it is late. You said to the priest, pls pray for my son....you were not there for you, but yet the priest KNEW what healing you needed.
Elaine is so right....so very very right.
It was an amazing night. I wanted to share what happened. It was very overwhelming to me what transpired. I had never been to a healing service so I was not sure what to expect. It was very moving.
PS - I think it was NO coincidence either that my son was 2 hours past his bedtime by the time we left and he was CALM, and relaxed.....not 1 fuss the entire time. Anderson felt where we were....I believe it!
Wednesday, September 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)












2 comments:
wow...very touching. God's work is AMAZING!
This is seriously cool. And so is God. ;)
Post a Comment