Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Thomas Whistle

New Trick for Anderson:

Anderson's speech therapists want Anderson to learn how to "blow" with his lips. It is part of developing the muscles and the control in his mouth to help with speech. They have told me to try and blow a cotton ball off the palm of my hands, and have Anderson copy. Well, he does not imitate....so this presents a challenge...plus, a cotton ball....not too exciting for a 2 year old. The other suggestion was to use bubbles....which, we have tried, but bubble are hard for my kids that CAN TALK and CAN BLOW....

So, at the drug store on Sunday...found a THOMAS THE TRAIN and at the end of it is a whistle...OKAY, THIS MAY MOTIVATE him. SO, for $4.99, I thought it was worth a shot.

Brought it home, showed Anderson, he was going crazy and wanted it out of the package. Got it out, I blew in it and showed him....at first he "sucked" it like a straw....but, I kept saying, BLOW, and I would blow right in his face (I know this may seem mean to some of you, but you do crazy things in therapy to kids sometimes for them to understand "concepts".) After about 3 tries..........HE DID IT!!! SUCCESS. I will have to get a video this afternoon after he naps and post it.

This may seem small and trivial...but ALL STEPS towards getting Anderson to speak.

PS - He is starting to say..."mmmmm". WE ARE GETTING CLOSER TO MA!!!!

No comments: