Sunday, September 14, 2008

Goldfish

This past weekend was the Church festival at our Church. Charlie got home early from work Friday night and we were able to attend with the kids. We had a blast. The kids rode rides and played lots of games. Kaitlyn won a stuffed animal playing darts and throwing the softballs in a tic tac toe. She did great. Ryan won a stuffed animal playing darts as well.

THEN, we went over to the goldfish booth. BACKGROUND: Last year Daddy was out of town and Aunt Patty was visiting, we won a few goldfish and had to buy the tank, etc with the goldfish. I think they lasted 48 hours. So....we have this tank sitting around the house. Kaitlyn has been asking for a few months when we would go to the festival and get new goldfish. BACK TO FRIDAY: Kaitlyn throws her balls...and gets 2 out of the 4 balls into the goldfish bowls. LUCKY us...we win 2 goldfish. At least this year, I do not have to buy the tank. My friend, Amanda, working the booth next door to the goldfish says...Perfect, JUST what you need...one more thing in your house to take care of!! I think ...what do you mean 3 kids, one with special needs, a dog, a cat, and a fish....why would we not need 2 more fish. Ha! HA!! hA!! OH, yeah and a prego Mom?? But, the look of excitement on Kaitlyn's face said it all......We did need these 2 fish!!

So, we brought home the goldfish. One died that night. We had a 2nd one and it was going strong. I decide I needed to feed it this AM. I MIGHT have fed it too much. I am thinking, oh well...it will be fine. OH, about 3:30 PM...I realize it is not looking so good. My friend Bridgit was working the festival. I asked her if she could "win" us a new one b/4 anyone could notice b/c I MIGHT have killed this one feeding it too much...and it seemed like a "sturdy" one. Bridgit comes over tonight after the festival with a goldfish (and a milkshake for the 2 prego ladies...Bridgit is prego too!) So, I disposed of the other fish while everyone was sleeping, cleaned the tank and added the new fish from Bridgit. SHHHH don't tell. BUT, it is 10:30 and this 3rd fish is looking a little tired, a little sick. I think we will have dead fish #3 by the morning. Poor Kaitlyn. I hope she is not too heartbroken.

I think I will wait until after school to break the news to her.

Good effort Bridgit. Bridgit even called me from the festival "checking on the color" of the fish to help with the switch. I think I might have helped the sturdy one go a little sooner than necessary with too much food. But, that is okay....we still have "ah-duh duh"....Anderson's beta fish. That thing is quite hardy!!

We always have the festival next year!!!

2 comments:

HawleyFamily said...

Ahhh, but those little fishies were so lucky to have your family for the short little time they were with you! :)

Glad you guys enjoyed them even if it does cause a bit of heartache. I might give it a go next year withAlec...I can't hide the booth from him forever ;)

Giving Love Encounters said...

I love this story! :)