Yes, it is always exciting around our house!!!
So, yesterday...Anderson had his 1st speech therapy at CHOC! We stopped at Starbucks on our way, then we went to speech. After speech we went to "Prehistoric Pets" in Huntington Beach. It is a pet store, 10,000 square feet, full of reptiles. They had a snake that weighed over 170 lbs, and was thicker than my Italian thighs (no joke!) Kaitlyn and Ryan got to feed the turtles and hold a snake! What fun!!!! It was great. Anderson was "walking around" checking everything out, loving it as well.
After the pet store, we went to Chick-fil-A for lunch. We had lunch, ate ice cream cones (just to celebrate our fun day)...and then played on the in door playground. Anderson climbed up the play ground, with me 6 inches behind him (remember...he still can't fall!) We played up there, watched the big kids run around having fun. Okay...we are done, headed down the slide to go home.....Anderson sitting in my lap....squeals of delight...then, screams. OHHH, the same scream that Ryan let out when he fell off Mima's bed and dislocated his shoulder the night b/4 Anderson was born. Anderson's leg got "caught" in a frog position going on the slide. OH #$^$%!!! I calm Andreson down and try to put him down, he will not put weight on the leg. OH NO! So, I start freaking out, get Kaitlyn and Ryan to the car and start crying as I call the peds office. Our ped sees us, we run over there.....they want Xrays. I take the Kaitlyn and Ryan to Bridgit's house (thank you Bridgit!!), then take Anderson for Xrays. Back to peds office.....our doctor thinks it looks "okay", but 1 area looks a little off and he wants to splint Anderson's leg. He said that sometimes it will take several days for a pediatric fracture to show up. So, off we go. By the time we get to Bridgit's house to pick up Kaitlyn and Ryan...Anderson has his splint off. OH BROTHER, this is not going to work!
We do the best we can for the next several hours and Anderson goes to sleep early b/c he had no nap. I go out for Mom's night out with my Mom's group. Bridgit and I ride together....talk to her husband, Neil (ortho surgeon). He recommends based on my description of what happened, what the Xrays said (or lack of...did not have them for Neil to read, he was going off experience and how it happened)...Neil thought we should see an ortho surgeon today, he thought there was more to it. THANK YOU NEIL!
So...today, I take Anderson to his ortho surgeon's office. Lets say that he is now in a FULL LEG cast!! Yes, folks...that is right. Anderson broke his tibia. Neil and Anderson's ortho told us that THIS IS A COMMON thing to happen to kids while riding on parents' laps down a slide....happens a lot!! CRAP, now you tell me! The surgeon today could see an area on the XRAY that was swollen and indicative of a break. Full cast for 3 weeks...it is a dark blue in case you are wondering.
Anderson is doing MUCH better since it was casted. Earlier today, he was trying to get around, frustrated, crying in pain, and standing like a flamingo!!
This will make you laugh (as if the above probably did not have you laughing!)...as we pull into the ortho's office, Anderson has a BLOW OUT diaper!! I will spare the details, but lets say...thank goodness my car had not been cleaned out for a few weeks...b/c Anderson wore a sweatshirt (that has been sitting in my car for a week) with a diaper into the appt (after I gave him a PURELL bath in the parking lot), and I had to change my shirt to a sweater that was in the car...enough said~!! Good thing my car was a mess with these "extra" clothes in it!
When the surgeon said he would have to cast it....I asked if I could wash his leg off b/c he had a blow out diaper, I am a germ-o-phobe and could not stand the thought of a cast going on that leg for 3 weeks w/o washing it ;) The ortho laughed and said of course. I bathed Anderson's leg in their sink! As I told Neil and Bridgit tonight....as Neil said " That is classic!" So...thought y'all would laugh about that part too!
I am laughing instead of crying at this point. 3 weeks.....we can live with a cast for 3 weeks. Hoping it will keep him a little bit slower and not as likely to bump his head.....uhhh...maybe?
Again, Anderson is the bravest little thing.........
GOOD NIGHT!!!! Picture of Anderson in the cast tmr!
Friday, March 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)












3 comments:
You are blessed with lots of ANGELS in your life :-) You have to post a picture of Anderson with his cast!
Therese
OMG, I don't know if I should laugh or cry. That poor guy, what else can happen, I better not say that because it could be a lot worse, but you surely think that little guy has been thru enough. Lets look at the bright side he won't be as mobile and hopefully won't fall and hit his head. You are in our prayers. Can't wait to see his picture.
Love
Patty
Unbelievable!!! I think you guys are just trying to get material for a book! Give little A double hugs for me now.... and try to keep things down to a roar out there. (Charlie, I'm now convinced he's a chip off your "old block").
Love to everyone, Em
Post a Comment