Wednesday, March 26, 2008

SPEECH

Guess what....9 months in the waiting...Anderson is starting speech therapy at CHOC!!! The wait list for CHOC's speech therapy was 12-14 months when we got on the wait list. So, we are excited about only 9 months! So, our 1st day is tmr!!! Anderson has been in speech at Providence (a facility next door to CHOC). However, Regional Center (CA state early intervention program) and Anderson's PT/OT wanted him to be at CHOC for speech. We've had little angels at CHOC pushing for Anderson to get in....and our time has come. Sheila, Anderson speech therapist has been So SO kind to us. Since we noticed Anderson's delay in speech (around 9-12 months), Sheila started to "stop" by Anderson's therapy and give his PT tips on what to do to help Anderson. Those ideas were passed along to me. Sheila has continued to help me as much as she could...she has been another angel to Anderson. We are so fortunate that the opening at CHOC's speech program was with SHEILA!!! We are so so thrilled!!!

I was flattered by a phone call this week from Regional Center. I have been asked to be a Parent Advocate for the state for Chiari. So, if other parents in the area have children with a Chiari diagnosis, my contact info will be passed onto the family for them to contact me for an ear, advice, help, etc. So...I was honored they asked me to do this for them. It is my pleasure. I always said...whatever was wrong with Anderson, I would become that advocate....so, here is the beginning to my Chiari advocate career ;)

Kaitlyn and Ryan have been on Spring Break this week. It has been fun. Monday we went to the Marine Rescue Center....where they have wild seals that have been injured or abandoned and nursed to health, a KOI pond store, and an animal rescue center in Laguna Beach. Monday afternoon, Kaitlyn and Ryan had soccer practice. Then, on Tuesday, Anderson had speech, then we had several playdates and Kaitlyn's ballet class. Today, Anderson had PT/OT and then Kaitlyn and Ryan went to friends' houses. Whew....we've made blueberry muffins and pancakes for breakfast. What a fun fun week so far. Tmr....who knows what it will bring...more fun!

Blessings to all!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Liz,

CONGRATULATIONS!! How very special for you to be chosen a Chiari Parent Advocate for the State of California. We are extremely proud of you and know that Chiari could not have a better advocate. While reading your blog comments in Florida, Joan, Emilie and I were so impressed with how well you expressed yourself. Again, congrats. God bless. Love, Tekla

Anonymous said...

Dear Liz, Loved seeing the video of Anderson walking to you and hearing the joy in your voice-- it's a joy all of us are feeling. Today Anderson is starting to walk; soon with the ST, he will be talking - growing by leaps and bounds. We are thrilled and I know you and Charlie are ecstatic!! Give A a kiss for me. Love, Tek

Cathy Tucker said...

Liz- thought of you every day you were in Chicago with Charlie and Anderson and I just didn't know how to best reach out. I am so amazed at the changes in Anderson already and pray that we continue to see these positive signs coming as fast going forward! I loved the story about the article in People, and the fact that you met her mother. I am also so impressed at your persistence at finding out what was wrong and going with your gut! Charlie looks great too- huge hello/hugs from me and Steve. PLEASE let me know if there any anything we can do to help! I plan to donate- is giving to Baylie the best route to go? her website is so cute. xoxox Cathy