Yahoo!!! It is Friday, and we are home!!! We are home 1 day early!!!!!
WOW, it has been a busy, busy week. Kristen has been posting for us b/c we have been a little out of it. Anderson and I came down with the stomach flu on Tuesday (poor honey, recovering from brain surgery and then the flu!). On Wednesday, Charlie gets it. We were on pins and needles waiting for Kaitlyn and Ryan to get it. Knock on wood.....they still have NOT gotten it!!!! Hopefully, at this point, we are in the clear. We shall see.......
Yesterday, Anderson had his 10 day post-op appointment. It went well. When we got the good news, we were just ready to get on the next plane. We were able to change our tickets and take the last flight out of Chicago. We walked in our door around midnight PST. The kids slept most of the plane ride and went straight to bed. Our pillows NEVER looked so good. Everyone slept in their own beds....all night!!!
Anderson is doing super. Thank goodness that puking is over. We are still not quite sure during those days if he was puking b/c of the surgery, the pain, or the flu. Guess we will never know. It was very difficult to watch. Charlie and I felt we took 10 steps backwards as of Monday. IT was very frustrating. On Tuesday/Wednesday, Anderson was so weak, so hard to see. Thursday, Anderson started to rally. He really woke up and seemed to have more energy, more appetite, etc. Today....he has been busy as ever!!!! Thank God!
Since I was not able to post much this past week, I have not been able to write about all of the new things Anderson has started to do. Many of these things will seem so trivial and small.....but to Anderson, they are ech an accomplishment. Things we knew he could not do before...that he is doing now.
* he will "dance" to music...swinging his arms like a "boogie" motion
* his hands are more "open" rather than fisted
* he is chewing his food SO much better...he actually chews rather than just swallowing
* he is drinking out of a straw without spitting all of the juice all over himself (he has better control over his oral skills)
* he is making new sounds...most of them continue to be indistinct, but still new
* he is vocalizing over almost everything...points at something and then vocalizes
* he is reaching his arms straight up in the air (rarely would lift his arms over 90 degrees)
* more interested in books and television shows (I know, I know...but, it is good that he is interested and engaged in what is happening on the tv...not that tv is a "good" thing, but to hold Anderson's attention, is good. It never would hold his attention in the past.)
* pincher grasp is improving
* starting to feed himself with spoon/fork
Overall, he is much more engaged with what is happening around him. He is curious, adventurous, and exploring more than ever! He seems more alert. In the past 10 days, Anderson turned 20 months old, and he got a new tooth!! Thank goodness for all that pain medication, not too sure he felt that tooth come in ;) Ha, ha, ha!
We are so happy with the improvements we have seen in Anderson in only 10 short days. It has been so much fun to watch him grow and learn everyday.
The biggest challenge we have at this point is not allowing Anderson to fall. Dr. Frim does not want Anderson to fall back on his incision over the next several months. Tell ANY 20 month old not to fall back on their head...would be hard. Much less a 20 month old toddler learning to walk, explore, etc. Someone has to be RIGHT next to Anderson at ALL times. GULP. We are watching Anderson like crazy! Our hands are never too far from Anderson......
THANKS to everyone for all of the prayers, emails, and notes. As I have said b/4....we appreciate all each of you have done. Your notes and posts to us made us smile and they were something we looked forward to everyday. We are so thankful with the way everything turned out.....could not have gone better (okay, well, maybe we could have done without the stomach flu). Our prayers were answered. Now, we are praying that this surgery brings Anderson relief so he can just be a toddler...learning and growing. We continue to pray that this surgery provides Anderson with the opportunities he needs to catch up to run around and chase his brother and sister ;).
Now....the hope is here....waiting to see what Anderson will do next. Feel free to stay tuned to see what Anderson and the Mescher Family does next!
Today is Dr. Frim's birthday...HAPPY Birthday Dr. Frim!! ;) Thank you for all you have done!
Friday, March 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)












9 comments:
All I feel like saying is YAHOOOOO!
We are so glad to hear that you are in the comfort of your own home and Anderson is accomplishing new things daily! It has been a privilege to read your daily entries and we feel truly blessed to have shared this experience with you. Thanks for keeping us all informed! More prayers are headed your way for continued success and good health. We will definitely be staying tuned for more updates! Have a peaceful weekend at home. Call if we can do anything!
God Bless - Deleen, Michael, Chloe and Bristol
WELCOME HOME!!! SO glad to hear that you made it and are on the mend! I can't wait to see you Liz as well as Anderson with all his new tricks. The healing power of the Lord is AMAZING!!
I can't tell you how much I have enjoyed having this blog to look at over the past 10 days. There were so many people praying for you and it was so nice to be able to give them a accurate update. I will continue to be a faithful reader! :)
Glad to hear you all made it home safely. Hope you can get some much needed rest. Sounds like Anderson is happy to be home, he has been through a lot as have you all.
Best regards,
Thelma
I am so Happy you made home and all has gone so well. I am sure it will keep going that way especially now that you are home. We will keep praying and I know everything is all up hill from here.
Love to All
The Kinder Family
We are so HAPPY that you are home safe and sound. Can't wait to hear about all the new and exciting things that Anderson gets to accomplish. Keep us posted on everything, we love to read about all of his new discoveries and accomplishments. Many prayers to all of you.
We love you
Mike, Shelley and Abby
Welcome home!!! Thanks for the update. Glad to hear all of you are doing much better. I will continue to keep Anderson in my prayers - praying for his continued progress and also praying that God will bless you and give you the strength and energy you need to get through the days ahead. Hang in there and take care! Love, Ginny Roseberry
Oh my God!! I can not believe how quickly Anderson is starting to do new things!! You are going to be exhausted trying to keep up with him. He has so many things he has been waiting to do! I am so glad that you were able to keep us updated on the progress and setbacks while in Chicago. I look forward to hearing about all of the new and amazing things that Anderson will continue to accomplish. What a luckly little guy. God has given you a challenge and you have definately embraced it. Talk to you soon! Glod bless everyone!
Love, Megan, Ron and Olivia
Welcome home! I'm so glad to hear Anderson's surgery was a success and that he is progressing SO WELL! Truly, everyone's prayers have been answered. I look forward to seeing him toddle(sp?)up that hill to pick up his sister from school, like Hudson does! See you soon, if not to bring an Easter meal, then to help out in some other way. Love, Anne Kridle and family
I LOVE seeing all the little things he can do now. What a miracle!
So glad you are all home safe and sound.
I look forward to hearing about all the new things he can do. WE will continue to pray for you guys!!
:)
Amie
Post a Comment